The Perfect Vegan Chilli
This Vegan Chilli Is Loaded With Flavour! You’ll Be Licking Your Spoon Clean; It’s That Good.
I sometimes love chilli, and sometimes I don’t. I like it when it’s flavourful and light – but not cooked to death. So today, I wanted to see how different my regular chilli recipe tastes if I add the veggies at the end, instead of at the beginning.
Instead of using one pot like I normally do, I created the chilli base in one pot and then lightly sauteed the veggies in a different pan so that they were not quite cooked but also not completely raw so that they still have a nice crunch to it.
This new method turned out to be a massive hit in my home. Usually, a big pot of chilli like this would last 2 days, but today, we ate up every last bite because it tasted soooo amazingly good!
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 Medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 (or more) Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon of chipotle powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon of agave or maple syrup
- 1 Teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 and 3/4 Cups of water
- 2 Teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon® Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 2 Cans of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Fresh jalapeño diced
- 2 Medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 Stalks of celery, diced
- 1 Sweet red pointed pepper, diced
- 1 Can of sweet corn
- Chopped cilantro
- Spicy jalapenos
- Vegan sour cream
- Fresh avocado slices
- Lime Wedges
- Tortilla Chips
- Medium to spicy salsa
Directions for making your Chilli base:
- Pour olive oil into a big pot on low-medium heat
- While the oil is warming up, dice your onion and add them to your pot. You want your heat between the low and medium settings (around 2.5 to 3.5) and cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, chop up your garlic and add to your pot and mix well. Let cook for about 2 more minutes on low heat (around 2.5 to 3)
- Measure and add all your spices to a small bowl and set aside. Wash, prep and chop your onions, jalapenos and cilantro and put them aside.
- Add your spices to the onions and mix well. Next, add in your diced tomatoes. Stir well.
- Now add your agave or maple syrup and mustard. Turn your heat up a bit to medium heat, around 4 to 5, and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, drain and rinse your beans and prepare your vegetable broth by boiling the water and then adding the Better Than Bouillon® Seasoned Vegetable Base to the boiling water. Using a spoon, mix the broth carefully so that it doesn’t splatter on you.
- Add your drained beans to your pot, followed by your vegetable broth.
- Let the chilli base come to a boil, and then turn your heat down to low-medium heat (around 2 to 2.5).
- While your chilli base is cooking and all the flavours and blending nicely, it’s time to prepare your veggies.
- Your chilli base should cook for a good 10-15 minutes. Taste test it every now and then to see if it needs additional cooking time. (I do not want the chilli powder taste to take over, so the longer I cook it, the better it blends in with the other flavours.)
Directions for preparing your veggies:
- Clean, peel and dice your carrots, celery, peppers and jalapenos.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil to a clean pan on medium heat.
- Add your diced jalapenos first and sautee for about 30 seconds and then add your diced carrots.
- Stir and let cook for about 2 minutes, and then add your diced celery. Cook for an additional minute, and then add your peppers.
- Cook for another minute, add your corn and immediately turn off the heat.
- The key is that the veggies should be very slightly cooked. Not quite raw, but you want to still have them be crunchy.
- Add the veggies to your chilli base, cook for 1 minute, and then turn off the heat completely.
- Put a lid on your chilli, stand on the hot stove for about 5 minutes, and then serve.
- Personalize your chilli with tortilla chips, spicy jalapenos, avocado, sour cream or anything else you like!
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Let me know what you think of this recipe! I’d love to hear your feedback. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page to share your comments, questions or tips!
♡ Love, Nash